Jeez, I still feel tired and I didn't even race. Crazy Sea Otter weekend as usual. Can they puh-leeze move this event to June? Even if you don't do the bike race thing, it still is a great time to see lots of people you haven't seen in awhile. So here are my highlights (and lowlights):Saturday
- Wake up at the crack of a$$ to volunteer for the morning shift at the Dual Slalom. Actually get kinda hot and sweaty making my way up and down the hill a few times (perhaps offering Allie the leg massage contributed to this as well). And then the wind starts blowing. And then the clouds start rolling in. And then all hell breaks loose. You hear the term "sideways rain"
used pretty often.
But this was as close to horizontal rain drops as I've ever seen. Just stupid. I saw a family using the honey huts for shelter - you know it's bad when you resort to that. My umbrella saved my torso and head from getting wet but the pants and boots were toast. Made for a lovely rest of the day. My feet still hurt. Calgon take me away...
- Hung out at the Velo Bella booth ogling all the hot, fit women. If I weren't a TWWer I would definitely apply for a Podium Boy position. Lets see... I mounted Kristin Danielson... 's bike on a trainer. Gave Barb Howe some crap about only having one shoe under her front tire while she was on the trainer - I did offer to put my boot there so she could ride on me... And just very much appreciated Natasha's brown serape thingy that she was wearing. Oh my. Okay, need to take a moment. (pause) Alrighty, I'm good now. Had fun playing in the mud cutting drainage trenches
and cutting Astro turf. A few of the VB's were trying to get me drunk - had my first mojito (no Isaias
, not your Mojito
). Good times. My favorite moment might have been oV
saying for me to pick him up so that he could reach higher to secure a tarp from blowing away. So I did and he screamed like a girl telling me no, no, no, no, no! and to put him down. You had to be there.
- Cruised around the expo, talked with a bunch of people, and then decided it was time to get the hell out of dodge. Managed to sweet talk a Velo Bella to let me shack up at her place (or maybe she talked me into it). Hot shower good. Dinner at a restaurant good. Warm room, queen size bed good. Okay, I'll stop there... Hmm... maybe that's why I'm so tired... I'm sure Jeni
will do her investigative reporting to get to the bottom of this scandal... Oh and for the record more than one VB offered me lodging. Oh yeah, I still got game.Sunday
- Got to the race track and again parked in freakin' Seasiyeeed. Will someone please explain to me why the people who get there first park the farthest away? And why are the parking volunteers so militant? I can say this because I volunteered too. But I guess it is pretty darn boring for them out there. At least I got to see some racing action.
- Snappped a bunch of photos of the TWW racers coming in - right at the little climb before the race track finish. Watched Julie of the Roaring Meeces dab at that final right hander - don't be mad I coulda posted a photo of that. Allan was a freakin' amazing cheerleader - he definitely had his cowbell goin' on.
- Got most of us together for the TWW group photo. Need to pshop some stragglers into the shot - is there anyone out there that can help me with that? Came up with a great little image that we'll be sending to our sponsor Crank Brothers
. I'll post it here when I getter done. Fun shootin' the shite despite not racing.
So overall it was a good time. I always feel though after the Snotter that I'm done with it. But I keep coming back every year. Hard to pass up on the good times... and all da suh-weeties...(photo posted for Rich Henthorn - okay, I like it too)